PAPER-I WIREMAN (THEORY)
TIME: 3 Hrs. MARKS: 150
Note: - Attempt all the questions.
All questions carry equal marks.
This paper carries negative marking 25% marks will be deducted for each wrong answer.
Choose the correct answer:
1. The advantage of moving coil permanent magnet type instrument is-
a) Law power consumption b) No hysteresis loss
c) Efficiency eddy current damping d) All of these
2. The internal resistance of an ammeter is-
a) Zero b) Very low
c) Very high d) Infinite
3. The moving iron type voltmeter and ammeter are suitable to measure the potential difference and current in-
a) A.C. circuit only b) D.C. circuit only
c) Both a.c. and d.c. circuits d) None of these
4. Ammeter falls under the category of-
a) Indicating instruments b) Recording instrument
c) Integrating instruments d) Standard instrument
5. In moving iron type instrument because of hysteresis in the iron parts of the moving system, the readings are-
a) Higher on descending value but lower on ascending values
b) Higher on ascending values but lower on descending values
c) Higher on both ascending as well as descending values
d) Lower on both ascending as well as descending values
6. Ohm meter is-
a) A meter to record ohm b) Used to measure resistance
c) Combination of ohm and meter d) An indicating instrument
7. In a moving iron type ammeter the coil has-
a) Large number of turns of thick wire b) Large number of turns of thin wire
c) Few turns of thin wire d) Few turns of thick wire
8. Volt meter resistivity is defined
a) Reciprocal of full scale. deflection current
b) Volt per ohm
c) Ohms per volt
d) It is degree of sensitiveness to impulse change
9. Which of the following instrument is undesirable for measurement of AC value?
a) Moving iron repulsion type b) Moving iron attraction type
c) Dynamometer type d) Permanent magnet moving coil type
10. Maximum current measured by the clip on ammeter is -
a) 700 Amp b) 500 Amp
c) 800 Amp d) 1000 Amp
11. For the measurement of voltage and current in the ratio frequency range, suitable instrument is-
a) Moving iron type b) Moving coil type
c) Electro thermic type d) Electrostatic type
12. The wattmeter which cannot be used on D.C. circuit is-
a) Thermal wattmeter b) Electrostatic wattmeter
c) Induction wattmeter d) Electro — dynamic wattmeter
13. In a megger when not in operation, the needle shows a resistance of-
a) Zero ohm b) 100 ohm
c) 555 ohm d) Infinity
14. The resistance of the shunt for an ammeter is usually of the order of-
a) 1000 ohm and above b) 100 ohm and above
c) Less than 100 ohm d) Less then 1 ohm
15. Instrument current transformer is used to operate -
a) Volt meter b) Watt meter
c) Ohm meter d) Ammeter
16. Vibrating reeds are employed in-
a) Frequency meter b) Power factor meter
c) Synchroscope d) Megger
17. Vibrating reed frequency meter operates on the principle of-
a) Phenomena of electrical resonance
b) Phenomena of mechanical resonance
c) Variation of impedance of an inductive coil circuit with the variation in supply frequency
d) None of these
18. A Weston frequency meter is a-
a) Dynamometer type instrument b) Moving coil instrument
c) Moving iron instrument d) Induction instrument
19. Which wiring system is inside of wall?
a) P.V.C. wiring b) Batten wiring
c) Concealed wiring d) Pipe wiring
20. In house wiring all lighting switch are of capacity rating of -
a) 6 amp. b) 16 amp.
c) 32 amp. d) None of these
21. Green coloured cable indicates -
a) Phase line b) Neutral line
c) OK line d) Earthing connection
22. According to I.S.I. the maximum power load in a sub — circuit should not be more than-
a) 1000 W or two points b) 2000 W or two points
c) 3000 W or four points d) 500 W or one point
23. What is the maximum number of lighting points that can be connected in a circuit?
a) 10 b) 05 c) 08 d) 12
24. Light point is fixed from the ground level to height of-
a) 2.75 mtr. b) 2.5 mtr.
c) 2.13 mtr. d) 1.8 mtr.
25. Which type of wiring is done in workshop?
a) Conduit pipe wiring b) Cleat wiring
c) Batten wiring d) L.C.C. wiring
26. Earth connection can be available from-
a) Pole/Ground b) Meter
c) Fuse d) Switch Board
27. Red colour wire is used as -
a) Earth wire b) Phase wire
c) Neutral wire d) Insulated wire
28. Cleat wiring is used for-
a) Temporary lighting at dry places b) Permanent lighting at dry places
c) Both used (a) and (b) d) None of these
29. Refrigerator, Air conditioner, Microwave oven, washing machine :need socket/plug with the minimum capacity of
a) 16 amp. b) 2.5 amp.
c) 6 amp. d) 10 amp.
30. Which material is used for wiring continuous busbar?
a) Aluminum b) Copper
c) Both (a) and (b) d) None of these
31. For what voltage level are the screwed conduit circuit used-
a) Less than 250 volt b) For voltage between 250 volt- 600 volt
c) For voltage above 600 volt d) None of these
32. Which among these is a method of wiring?
a) Joint box b) Tee system
c) Loop in system d) All of these
33. An electric bulb can work from-
a) D.C. supply only b) A.C. supply only
c) Battery Supply only d) Al of these
34. Lux is a unit of illumination-
a) It is equal to foot candle b) It is less than foot candle
c) It is more than foot candle d) It has no relation with foot candle
a) Is a form of electricity energy b) Is a form of heat energy
c) Consist of electromagnetic waves d) Consist of shooting particles
36. Colour of light depends upon-
a) Wave length b) Frequency of the wave
c) Speed of the light d) (a) and (b) above
37. One foot candle is equal to-
a) 1/10 lux b) 10 lux c) 100 lux d) 1000 lux
38. In a sodium vapour lamp, the discharge is first started in the-
a) Neon gas b) Nitrogen gas
c) Argon gas d) Krypton gas
39. Which lamp cannot sustain much voltage fluctuation?
a) Incandescent lamp b) Fluorescent lamp
c) Mercury vapour lamp d) Sodium vapour lamp
40. Filament lamp at starting will take current-
a) Equal to its full running current b) Less than its full running current
c) More than its full running current d) None of these
41. Illumination of one lumen per sq. meter is called-
a) Ft. candle b) Candela
c) Lux d) Lumen, meter
42. The following discharge lamp needs separate choke:
a) Fluorescent lamp b) Sodium vapour lamp
c) Mercury vapour lamp d) All of these lamps
43. Fluorescent tube is coated from inside with white powder. This is done to-
a) Change the colour of light emitted to white
b) Improve che appearance
c) Increase the light radiations due to secondry emission
d) Improve its life
44. Which part is the "brain" of the computer?
a) Monitor b) CPU
c) RAM d) ROM
45. The permanent memory built into your computer is called -
a) RAM b) CPU
c) ROM d) CD - ROM
46. Which of the following is not an input device?
a) Monitor b) Keyboard
c) Joystick d) Microphone
47. Which of the following is not an output device?
a) Monitor b) Printer
c) Speaker d) Keyboard
48. Which device allows your computer to talk to other computer over a telephone line as well as access the internet?
a) RAM b) CD-ROM drive
c) Modem d) Hard drive
49. Which of the following is an operating system you would be using on the computer?
a) Internet Explorer b) Netscape
c) Microsoft word d) Microsoft windows
50. Which of these is not a computer manufacturer?
a) IBM b) Applé
c) Microsoft d) Sun